LA TRINIDAD, Benguet, — More than 150 law enforcers and civilian shooters participated in the 1st Asec. Marie Rafael Shoot for a Cause at the Camp Major Bado Dangwa firing range over the weekend to raise funds for typhoon victims in eastern Mountain Province.
Assistant Secretary Marie Rafael of the Presidential Communications Operations Office, a former mayor of Natonin, Mountain Province, organized the two-day shootfest with the Police Regional Office – Cordillera (PRO-COR) to generate support for the typhoon- affected communities in eastern Mountain Province which was badly hit during the onslaught of typhoon Rosita last year.
Champion in the Standard Aggregate was Arnold Unabia while Ingiemar Cheng topped the Open Aggregate category.
Charles Leaño was the Carry Optics champion with Arby Bastion as PCC Rifle champ. Mini, Classic, and Production Rifle winners were Christian de Peralta, Melvin Calde, and Metadio Patting, respectively.
Lady Standard champ was Jeannette Campos, Dyan Bangcawayan for Lady Production, and Merriam Puddunan for Lady Classic.
Bernie Casusi topped the Señior Classic, Gilbert Atioan for Senior Production, Don Malatag for Señior Standard, Bong Arevalo for Super Señior, and Kevin Campos for Junior Standard.
Rafael extended her gratitude to PRO-Cordillera, the range officers, shooters, sponsors and all those who extend support in making the shoot for a cause a success.
“We may not be able to provide everything, but for now, our priority is to provide their basic needs, to improve their source of water, especially in the different villages,” she said.
It can be recalled that eastern Mountain Province particularly the municipalities of Natonin and Paracelis suffered the brunt of typhoon Rosita last October damaging crops and many infrastructures like roads, buildings and houses mostly due to landslides. The building of the DPWH Second Engineering District which was ongoing construction in sitio Ha’rang, Banawel, Natonin was swept by landslide. The around 30 people inside at the time of the incident were the subjects of massive search, rescue and retrieval operations but with eight still missing to date.
Meanwhile, PRO-Cor Regional Director P/Chief Superintendent Rolando Nana said the event was also a reminder to gun holders of the gun ban set by the Commission on Election relative to the May 13, 2019 midterm elections. The gun ban starts this Sunday, January 13 until June 12, 2019 or the election period.
“We request all firearm holders to abide with the Comelec gun ban and be responsible gun owners,” Nana said. (JDP/JBZ -PIA CAR)