Categories
National News Regional News Sports

ALL SET FOR THE OPENING OF R1AA MEET IN ILOCOS NORTE

By Freddie G. Lazaro

LAOAG CITY (PIA) – – It’s all systems go for the opening of the weeklong 2019 Region 1 Athletic Association (R1AA) Meet at the Marcos Stadium on Wednesday.

Faivo Bartolome, sports consultant of Ilocos Norte, said the provincial government of Ilocos Norte and the Department of Education-Schools Division of Ilocos Norte (DepEd-SDOIN) are ready to welcome the expected 10,300 delegates to the prestigious regional sports tournament re-slated on March 6-11.

Originally, the R1AA Meet was set on March 3-8 but it was postponed due to the increasing number of measles cases in the region.

Upon the recommendation of the Department of Health-Regional Office 1 (DOH-RO1), the R1AA board of directors decided to delay the regional sports event to ensure the health and safety of the delegates, and to allot time for sufficient immunization of communities at billeting schools and playing venues.

Bartolome assured that the preparations for the regional sporting event are the same, and he declared that the province is “one hundred percent ready.”

Starting Feb. 28, the Provincial Health Office (PHO) has been conducting immunization activities to protect the athletes and the local community from possible transmission of measles.

Dr. Rodolfo Ragadi of PHO- Ilocos Norte said, “The PHO is very busy since we persistently visit the areas in Ilocos Norte, particularly in the billeting areas and playing venues, to provide vaccination and to prevent the spread of measles. I hope that other provinces also do this for their athletes’ preparation in the R1AA Meet.”

Meanwhile, Schools Division Superintendent Vilma Eda encourages an environment-friendly conduct of the event by requiring the delegates to bring their personal water bottle, food container, and abandoning the utilization of single-use plastics.

Lawyer Revsee A. Escobedo, assistant secretary for procurement service and project management service of the DepEd, is expected to grace the opening of the tournament. (JNPD/FGL,PIA-1)

Categories
Baguio City Cordillera Regional News Sports

PNG ATHLETES RECEIVE ADDITIONAL INCENTIVES

PNG ATHLETES RECEIVE ADDITIONAL INCENTIVES

By Aileen P. Refuerzo

BAGUIO CITY — Seventy one athletes and coaches instrumental in the city’s second-place finish in the 2018 Philippine National Games received their additional cash incentives last Wednesday.

Mayor Mauricio Domogan and City Sports and Recreation Division head Gaudencio Gonzales handed over the monetary reward amounting to P10,000 for gold, P5,000 for silver and P3,000 for bronze medalists.

He thanked the athletes for giving honor to the city and encouraged them to continue striving and realizing the benefits of sports activities.
Gonzales said the additional incentive that totaled P1.157 million doubled the amount of cash rewards received by the athletes.

The regular incentive mandated by a city ordinance was released last year.

The additional incentive came from the P8 million cash prize given to PNG winners by the Philippine Sports Commission as part of its grassroots sports promotion.

The grant of the extra benefits to the athletes was decided in a resolution approved by the City Sports Program Development Council (CSPDC) which the mayor heads.

Domogan said the rest of the amount will be used to procure sports equipment and materials for use of the athletes in their trainings.

The Philippine National Games (PNG) officially known as the POC-PSC Games is a national multi-sport tournament in the Philippines to select the national pool athletes who will compete in international tournaments such as the Southeast Asian Games, Asian Games and the Olympics.
The 2018 PNG was held in May 19-25 co-hosted by the City of Cebu and the Province of Cebu.

Meanwhile, Batang Pinoy athletes will also receive their additional cash reward soon from the P3 million prize for topping the finals held last year in the city.

Unlike the PNG, the incentive will amount to P3,000 for the gold, P2,000 for the silver and P1,000 for the bronze medalists.

Categories
Sports

1ST ASEC MARIE RAFAEL ‘SHOOTFEST FOR A CAUSE’ GATHERS 150 SHOOTERS

LA TRINIDAD, Benguet, — More than 150 law enforcers and civilian shooters participated in the 1st Asec. Marie Rafael Shoot for a Cause at the Camp Major Bado Dangwa firing range over the weekend to raise funds for typhoon victims in eastern Mountain Province.

Assistant Secretary Marie Rafael of the Presidential Communications Operations Office, a former mayor of Natonin, Mountain Province, organized the two-day shootfest with the Police Regional Office – Cordillera (PRO-COR) to generate support for the typhoon- affected communities in eastern Mountain Province which was badly hit during the onslaught of typhoon Rosita last year.

Champion in the Standard Aggregate was Arnold Unabia while Ingiemar Cheng topped the Open Aggregate category.
Charles Leaño was the Carry Optics champion with Arby Bastion as PCC Rifle champ. Mini, Classic, and Production Rifle winners were Christian de Peralta, Melvin Calde, and Metadio Patting, respectively.

Lady Standard champ was Jeannette Campos, Dyan Bangcawayan for Lady Production, and Merriam Puddunan for Lady Classic.
Bernie Casusi topped the Señior Classic, Gilbert Atioan for Senior Production, Don Malatag for Señior Standard, Bong Arevalo for Super Señior, and Kevin Campos for Junior Standard.

Rafael extended her gratitude to PRO-Cordillera, the range officers, shooters, sponsors and all those who extend support in making the shoot for a cause a success.

“We may not be able to provide everything, but for now, our priority is to provide their basic needs, to improve their source of water, especially in the different villages,” she said.

It can be recalled that eastern Mountain Province particularly the municipalities of Natonin and Paracelis suffered the brunt of typhoon Rosita last October damaging crops and many infrastructures like roads, buildings and houses mostly due to landslides. The building of the DPWH Second Engineering District which was ongoing construction in sitio Ha’rang, Banawel, Natonin was swept by landslide. The around 30 people inside at the time of the incident were the subjects of massive search, rescue and retrieval operations but with eight still missing to date.
Meanwhile, PRO-Cor Regional Director P/Chief Superintendent Rolando Nana said the event was also a reminder to gun holders of the gun ban set by the Commission on Election relative to the May 13, 2019 midterm elections. The gun ban starts this Sunday, January 13 until June 12, 2019 or the election period.

“We request all firearm holders to abide with the Comelec gun ban and be responsible gun owners,” Nana said. (JDP/JBZ -PIA CAR)